Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pre-Game Post.

All the great sports team and college kids all practice the same art of pre-gaming before the big game or event. Of course they are done in completely different ways, but nevertheless, it is still before the event. (Game film, beer its all for preparation of something right?)

This post, is my pre-date post.

Tomorrow is the big day. I, Laura J. Anderson, have a date tomorrow. I received the news today that the date had been set up, of course right away I was excited to hear it! I have been getting worried that I may not ever reach my NYR of 26 dates, if I can't even find a first one. Well, lady luck is on my side, and will hopefully stay on my side tomorrow night around 7:20... or 7:00. Truth be told, I can't remember what time I am supposed to meet him. Most movies usually start at like 7:20 I think, so maybe I will just go with that.  I know, this is not a good way to start, and I am always terrible at being on time anyway*, so this could be a bad first impression. I need to mentally prepare myself for what I am about to get into, the journey I am about to start, and the chances I am going to take.

I am going to be honest here people, I am NER-VOUS, like real nervous. Now, being the cool calm collected person I am, it may not seem at all like I am, but sheesh.. this is a bit ridiculous. I blame part of my nerves on a blind date HORROR story someone told me today in which he kept repeating, "Seriously, I am not making this up...". I will be the first to admit that I always am thinking of the worst possibly things that could go wrong. However, I know that this one will be pretty painless, and most likely just fine. .. or so I keep telling myself. Unless he tries to hold my hand... WHAT DO I DO IF HE TRIES TO HOLD MY HAND????

The Agenda:
Going to a movie at West Mall 7. I do not know which movie, all I told my friend was that if it was a scary movie, I will get up and leave. I don't do scary movies. Other than that, I am up for anything. My guess? The Muppets, well that is just my hope, I haven't seen it yet, and would love to go to it! But, I do have quite a distinct laugh that is quite loud in a theater setting, so maybe going to a funny one could be detrimental. If it is about an animal, I am destined to cry, and seriously that would just be awkward to cry on a first date. So I guess that leaves me with an action flick... I am ok with that.

So my pregame.. err... pre-date ritual will be to pick out my outfit, get a pep talk, eat supper, and listen to some ABBA or Jay-Z/Kanye on the way to the theatre. So if any of you have any tips, advice or suggestions on what to wear, how to act or anything else in general, PLEASE let me know. The suggestion box is below, and is waiting to be filled with knowledge.

Also, as for the results of this date.. well you will just have to click back in and read all about it tomorrow!

LA

*Seriously, ask anyone. They will all say that same thing. I am late. I show up late to things. I am a terrible person because I can never be on time.. blah blah blah.

4 comments:

  1. Add this to your pre-date ritual: Brush you teeth! Even if you know you did it this morning and you have no intention of kissing him on the first date this act makes it less likely for food (or even a glass of red wine) to show on your teeth later in the evening when you go out for drinks.

    Sincerely,
    Behind you all the way,
    Laura G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with the first comment! Minty breath just makes you feel better!!! I would wear all the clothes you are comfy in. Now I don't mean show up in sweat pants LA! I mean wear that shirt that is cute and happens to be comfortable. Don't wear something that will make you fidget. And lastly...I LOATHE holding hands in a movie. That's why you should insist on buying popcorn. That way you can hold it the entire time!! I know it sounds crazy but I do that and it works out just grand. Or if you can't do that shove your hands under your legs like the theatre is cold. May seem weird but it sure as hell is better than holding an awkward sweaty hand....
    Good Luck!!!

    So Proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. So. As you know, I was the queen of blind dates there for awhile, and here are my suggestions:

    Movies aren't really the best way to get to know somebody, and in my opinion should be used as a last resort OR in conjunction with drinks or dinner before hand. Its kind of awkward to meet someone for the first time, make small talk as you buy tickets, and then have to sit silently in a movie for 2 hrs next to a stranger.....its a little better if you go to a comedy where you can at least laugh outloud together....

    Secondly, its no use being nervous bc then things WILL be awkward. The first date is actually the easiest bc its where you discuss all the "get to know you" questions. Its easy to think of questions for someone you don't know bc YOU DON'T KNOW THEM and there is lots to find out.

    Which leads me into my third point. DO NOT. I REPEAT do NOT, talk too much. Sometimes when a girl gets nervous she says too much and says it way to fast. Guys will like it if you ask THEM the Q's bc it shows them that you are interested, so be a great listener.

    And finally-- Make the evening light and fun. You are hilarious and know how to make people laugh, so use that to your advantage. Joking around will make you both more comfortable.

    I wish you the BEST of luck, and am looking foward to hearing all about it. And if he turns out to be a D-Bag, I'll just go all Carrie Underwood on him and 'dig my keys into the side of his pretty lil' suped up 4 wheel drive.....' :)

    Your Big Sista--

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope all went well, because you know you got your worry genes from 'yo Mama'--envisioning all the worst scenarios for blind dates--must be all the romance novels my Mom shares with me to read... also, sorry about the Gosmire time frame. I did not inherit that gene--I think it skipped a generation, but just look at your Uncle Steve, and Uncle Dave.... Need I say more..
    PS going for pizza and playing billards is a fun way to get to know a person..
    --Mom

    ReplyDelete